At the Besom in York, we love to help and enable churches across the city to give to those in need. In this week’s blog we feature York City Church, who we were able to help with exciting consequences as members shared God’s love and saw Him at work.
On Sunday, York City Church had their first Give Day. The day was designed to enable every person to give; for every adult and child to spend the morning giving in our city.
We want to tell you about the many specific ways that God provided for 100+ people to give that morning – it left us in no doubt that it was God who was providing and that He is the great giver Himself.
The church started with a list of the different ways that people wanted to give and prayed for the specific recipients to give to. Here are just a few of the ways we saw God provide:
- Two dad and son teams were set to spend the morning building new bunk beds. We identified two recipients. As we offered the bunks both recipients were in tears – overwhelmed. One recipient, who had health problems, said that there was no way she’d have the strength to build a set of bunk beds for her boys. The other mum was about to go to a ‘weekly payment retailer’ to afford some bunks. (They would have charged her £546 for a bunk bed worth less than £200. It’s a sickening fact that often the poorest in our midst have to pay more for things as they can not afford to pay up front. I love that we were able to give her a better set of bunk beds, with mattresses and bedding and construct them for her, all for free!).
- One small group were set to make up a Bundle of baby things for a mum but also wanted to do something practical as both men in the group are trained joiners. The recipient we’d found for a bundle had also asked for a garden shed. In nearly 10 years of the Besom in York, we’ve never been offered a shed, so we weren’t full of faith that we’d be able to provide one. But in the week leading up to the give day we were offered our first shed, perfectly sized and ready to erect in her garden.
- A team had offered to fit a carpet. They needed to be within walking distance of the church building and be bought within a £200 budget. A recipient was found, we took her to a carpet shop and let her choose which carpet she wanted. She chose and came in at bang on budget at £200.
- Three guys went out on the van to do a regular van run – initially it was hard to find anyone to collect from. Being a Christian charity, most of our givers are at church then! But God provided a giver who goes to church at 9am and her things were a perfect match for a recipient who’d been rehoused for the second time in a matter of months.
- Another small but encouraging answered prayer came in the form of a bingo machine! A group had organised to go to a local residential home to have some fun, sing some songs and play bingo with some of the residents. We were encouraged to receive an offer of use of a bingo machine that they took with them!
In organising this give day, the church were encouraged so many times along the way. There were numerous incidences where God showed Himself to be present and very much cheering us on. It was clear that he had these things lined up years in advance and was just waiting for His people to discover them.
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2 v 10.
Next week we’ll be sharing stories and testimonies from those who gave on the day.
Rob Ainsworth, co-ordinator, The Besom in York